- This story is about Zainab Edwards. She:
- Lives in Arizona.
- Has disabilities.
- Has complex needs. Complex needs means she needs a lot of support. She might hurt herself or other people.
- Arizona pays a lot of money to support Zainab. They pay for staff and services.
- Zainab does not have a good quality of life. She spends a lot of time alone. She gets hurt. The police come to her house a lot.
- Having money to pay for services is not the same as having good services.
- People with complex needs and their families are talking to the Arizona government.
- Arizona is making new rules to make life better for people with complex needs.
- People do not agree on where people like Zainab should live.
- People with complex needs used to live in institutions.
- Some people think people with complex needs should live in:
- Gated communities.
- Their community.
- There are not good state programs for people with complex needs to live in the community.
- It is hard to find a solution.
Help support this work
Public Integrity doesn’t have paywalls and doesn’t accept advertising so that our investigative reporting can have the widest possible impact on addressing inequality in the U.S. Our work is possible thanks to support from people like you.