Key members of the Malaysian government, their families, and well-heeled associates are among those owning secretive offshore companies in Singapore and the British Virgin Islands, according to a cache of leaked documents.
They include former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad’s son Mirzan, Federal Territories and Urban Well-Being Minister Raja Nong Chik Zainal Abidin and Michael Chia, the alleged ‘bagman’ for Sabah Chief Minister Musa Aman.
The files, which were obtained by the Washington-based International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) and examined by Malaysiakini, show more than 1,500 Malaysians owning offshore companies in Singapore – dubbed as the new Switzerland – as well as the British Virgin Islands (BVI), an international tax haven.
The ICIJ list comprises a curious mix of Forbes-listed tycoons, parliamentarians, retired politicians, civil servants and their spouses, members of royal families, famous and infamous businesspeople, underworld kingpins and even former beauty queens.
Click through to ICIJ.org to continue reading.
MORE IN THIS SERIES
- François Hollande’s Campaign Treasurer’s Investments in the Cayman Islands
- Caribbean Go-Between Provided Shelter for Far-Away Frauds, Documents Show
- Philippine Government to Probe Marcos Daughter’s Offshore Trust
- Deutsche Bank Helped Customers Maintain Hundreds of Offshore Entities
- Who Uses the Offshore World
- Elites Undermine Putin Rail Against Tax Havens
- Ponzi Scheme Used Offshore Hideaways To Shuffle Investors’ Money
- Taxmen Have Little Clue of Offshore Companies Owned by Greeks
- Map: Key Tax Haven Clients In the World
- Ferdinand Marcos’ Daughter Tied to Offshore Trust in Caribbean
- Disclosure of secret offshore documents may force top Mongolian lawmaker to resign
- How ICIJ’s Project Team Analyzed the Offshore Files
- Canadian Senator’s Husband Shifted Money Into Offshore Tax Havens
- Offshore companies provide link between corporate mogul and Azerbaijan’s president
- Interactive: Gunter Sachs’ Offshore Network
- ‘Crony’ of African Strongman Among Thai Names in Secret Offshore Files
- Interactive: Stash Your Cash
- Mega-Rich Use Tax Havens to Buy and Sell Masterpieces
- Key Findings
- Secret Files Expose Offshore’s Global Impact
- About This Project: Secrecy For Sale
- Nominee Directors Linked to Intelligence, Military
- Cosmetic surgery tycoon had secret offshore company
- Britons Snapped Up Luxury Villas on Thai Island
- Post-Soviet Billionaires Invade UK … Via British Virgin Islands
- Interactive: We Reveal Who’s Buying Up Britain
- Who’s Buying Britain? Probe Reveals Real Estate Speculators Hidden By Offshore Alchemy
- One Block in London, Many Secret Owners
- Video: How To Dodge Tax
- Front Men Disguise the Offshore Game’s Real Players
- ‘Fatal Blow’ Against Sham Corporate Directors Not So Fatal After All
- Meet the Queen of Nevis
- British Virgin Islands Well-Known for Sunny Beaches – and Strict Secrecy
- How the nominee trick works
- Inside the shell: Drugs, arms and tax scams
Help support this work
Public Integrity doesn’t have paywalls and doesn’t accept advertising so that our investigative reporting can have the widest possible impact on addressing inequality in the U.S. Our work is possible thanks to support from people like you.