The Center for Public Integrity is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds. People of color, women, LGBTQ and differently abled people are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit Pulitzer Prize-winning news organization, seeks an editor who has a track record of producing high-impact journalism to help shape our coverage of race and inequality. The ideal candidate has experience reporting and editing about demographics, race and inequality; knows how to turn datasets into compelling narratives; values collaboration; and excels at coaching writers.
- Collaborate on story and project ideas, including developing outreach strategies for those projects and stories. Key to those strategies is identifying, building and supporting reporting and distribution partnerships with other news outlets.
- Work with reporters and the communications, development and digital teams to maximize the impact and reach of these stories and projects, including building an audience using social media tools and creating appealing multimedia and social media content.
- Assist reporters with planning and executing their reporting.
- Edit reporters’ stories.
- Compile documentation to facilitate fact-checking of all articles.
- Adhere to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices of the Personnel Policy Manual and Employee Handbook.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience as a journalist, including editing experience.
- An ability to find illuminating stories; to craft attention-getting, in-depth, vibrant and well-organized narratives; and to meet deadlines.
- A track record of helping reporters craft stories that demonstrate meticulous attention to detail and rigorous adherence to the highest standards of accuracy and fairness.
- Exceptional organization skills and a proven ability to work collegially with others.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Supervisor’s title: Editor in chief
To apply: All applications should include a cover letter, a resume and several examples of journalism. Apply here.
The Center for Public Integrity is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an inclusive work environment. Public Integrity is committed to employment, advancement and leadership opportunities that ensure diversity of age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin or ancestry, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information and/or military or veteran status.
The Center for Public Integrity was founded in 1989 by investigative journalist Charles Lewis. We are one of the country’s oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations. We are also the winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting.
Our mission is to protect democracy and inspire change using investigative reporting that exposes betrayals of the public trust by powerful interests.