The Center for Public Integrity is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds. People of color, women, LGBTQ and differently abled people are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Center for Public Integrity is seeking a data editor to build upon its historic leadership in data-based journalism. The Data Editor will oversee data collection and analysis for a variety of Public Integrity projects in support of its mission of investigating race, power and privilege to protect democracy.
This position reports directly to the Editor in Chief and is part of the organization’s senior leadership team. The Data Editor will also build and oversee partnerships with other news outlets for reporting and publication of data across platforms, facilitate outreach plans around data associated with Public Integrity’s work and plan and lead data training for the staff.
We welcome and encourage applicants with non-traditional career paths. If you don’t exactly meet the qualifications outlined here, please apply and tell us how your own experiences would equip you for the job.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Manage a team of data journalists.
- Pitch story ideas and lead or co-lead cross-team investigative reporting projects.
- Oversee the collection, analysis and publication of data for Public Integrity’s investigative projects.
- Work with the editorial staff to discuss, manage, evaluate and present the use of data in stories and projects.
- Develop and implement effective data visualization for the web and social media.
- Work with editors to develop data partnerships and collaborations with outside news outlets.
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills.
- At least five years of data-driven journalism experience with demonstrated results.
- Excellent spreadsheet and database skills, including familiarity with SQL.
- Familiar with math and statistics needed for sophisticated data analysis.
- Data visualization skills.
- Proven track record to manage multiple tasks and ongoing projects under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
Reports to: Editor in Chief
Starting salary: $130,000
To apply: All applications should include a cover letter, a resume and several examples of journalism. Apply here.
The Center for Public Integrity is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an inclusive work environment. Public Integrity is committed to employment, advancement and leadership opportunities that ensure diversity of age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin or ancestry, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information and/or military or veteran status.
The Center for Public Integrity was founded in 1989 by investigative journalist Charles Lewis. We are one of the country’s oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations. We are also the winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting.
Our mission is to protect democracy and inspire change using investigative reporting that exposes betrayals of the public trust by powerful interests.